You love them and they try to, but there are plenty of foods poisonous to dogs you should know about. The problem is, they are so tempting to our furry friends and many owners think just one won’t hurt. The truth is, just one can kill a dog, or make it seriously ill. To avoid this from happening, educating yourself about the foods poisonous to dogs is incredibly important.
List of Human Foods Poisonous to Dogs
Human food is not always dog-friendly. What is fine for our bodies, can be toxic to theirs. It’s all down to the differences between our metabolisms and the rate at which we process our foods within our digestive systems.
The list below is far from complete, and not all of the foods poisonous to dogs are listed on it. However, it is a great place to start when identifying what your dog can and can’t eat.
- Xylitol, or artificial sweetener – can cause liver failure and a drop in blood sugar
- Avocado – contain persin, it causes vomiting and diarrhea
- Alcohol – breathing problems, coma, diarrhea and vomiting
- Onions – kills red blood cells and leads to anemia, vomiting and breathing problems
- Caffeine – consuming tea, coffee and other caffeine foods can be fatal
- Grapes and raisins – cause kidney failure and vomiting
- Chocolate – containing theobromine, it causes heart problems, seizures and death
- Macadamia nuts – affect the nervous system, resulting in weakness, panting and death
- Blue cheese – cause vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures and high temperatures
- Apple seeds – release cyanide when eaten, so remove seeds before giving it to the dog
- Rhubarb and tomato leaves – contain oxalates leading to blood in urine, tremors, drooling and vomiting
- Salt – cause sodium ion poisoning, leading to fever, seizures, vomiting and death
- Yeast – can expand in your dog’s stomach, which could rupture
Best Foods to Feed Your Dog
By far, the best food to feed your dog is dog food! Made from ingredients which are safe for dogs to consume, plus manufactured to meet their exact dietary requirements, we recommend this is the only type of food you feed your dog!
However, in saying so, there are some human foods which can be eaten by dogs in moderation. They include:
- Apple slices
- Cooked eggs
- Cooked potatoes
- Cooked white rice
- Lean meat
If you suspect or know your dog has eaten any foods poisonous to dogs, contact your vet immediately! Prevention is far better than cure, so keep human foods away and only dog food in your dog’s bowl.